GP MONACO







If I ask you to tell me the name of a Formula 1 grand prix, I am sure that the Monaco GP comes to mind for many. Formula 1 would not be the same without this race on its calendar, to be exact on the last Sunday in May. This race is the race of glamor, tradition and danger. Driving fast without making mistakes on this very narrow circuit is a very difficult task, and overtaking ... almost impossible

The circuit is located in the middle of the Principality of Monaco. The economic impact in the Principality, only the Formula 1 weekend, is more than 100 million euros. Many celebrities flock to the capital of Monaco every year to see the show first-hand.

In the Monaco GP races were already held since 1929, but it was not until 1950 that the first official Formula 1 race was held. It did not return until 1955 and it was held every year until today except for 2020, which was canceled because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

In Monaco they have won many legendary drivers such as Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Nicky Lauda among others, but Michael Schumacher stands out, who won the race up to 5 times. But he's not the one who wins the most times. It was the Brazilian pilot Ayrton Senna, for many the best pilot in history. He won the Monaco GP 6 times and the Formula 1 drivers' championship 3 times. He died in 1994 at the San Marino GP. In terms of teams, the most successful in Monaco is McLaren with 15 victories, followed by Ferrari with 9.

But this spectacular circuit in recent years is giving something to talk about and is not positive. More and more people is saying that Monaco is not what it used to be, that the races at this circuit are very boring because there are hardly any overtaking. And that this happens is because in the last two decades, Formula 1 cars have increased considerably in size, especially in width. So this increase in size on the sides makes overtaking very difficult on this very narrow street circuit, and makes us see very monotonous races.

And this is where we ask you: Formula 1 have to keep the Monaco GP for its glamor and history despite the fact that in recent years we have not seen any overtaking?


https://as.com/motor/2021/05/21/reportajes/1621586127_255545.html


Comments

  1. I believe F1 should keep Monaco forever it is true that there is barely overtakes, but it is just one of those sporting event that are really special and only happens once a year. I also believe there is much more to F1 than overtakes, there is a lot of strategy behind and in Monaco strategy is very important with the under cuts or over cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that F1 is not just overtaking and that removing the Monaco GP from the schedule would be prejudicial. But if the races in Monaco remain being boring for a long time, interest in this race will decrease, and Monaco won’t have the same interest as nowadays.

      Delete
  2. Yes it should, as it is mentioned the Monaco GP is one of the first events that come to the mind of anyone who knows about F1. Therefore, removing it from its calendar would be like taking off one of the mainly images one could have from Formula 1. I did not know about the fact that F1 cars increased in width, which makes me understand why could people think that the Monaco GP should no longer be part of the competition. However, I do not share this opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The atmosphere in Monaco is everything the sport stands for. Everyone knows the race is mostly driven in the qualifications, however this doesn't make it less tense for me. I consider it a life goal to watch the race from a yacht one day! Am I the only one that remembers Kimi Räikkönen walking straight to his yacht to drink champagne after his heat shield blew up?? Iconic. -Arno P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear The Pit Stop News,
    The Monaca circuit does indeed have many history moments. I think it's a very nice track but I don't think the real racing can be shown here. On Saturday qualifying you have to reach a group to win a race on Sunday. So it is not the most special race. I think the race should continue because it attracts a lot of viewers in 2018 it was the most watched grand prix with a whopping 110 million viewers. In addition, many celebrities come to this race and it therefore attracts a lot of attention for Formula 1.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reasoning is the same as formula1, and totally understandable. As for race quality, it has decreased a lot, there are no overtaking, but taking Monaco off the calendar would generate less money since a lot is generated on the Monaco GP weekend. So the formula1 maintains it for interests but above all for image, since it is the most famous circuit of the circuit

      Delete
  5. Good question… I really enjoy the glamour of the Monaco GP, but the few overtakes really get me sometimes. It seems it’s just about the qualifying. I didn’t know it has been different, but I didn’t think about that tbh. I think the F1 needs to change something in order to keep the interest high. Whether in the regulations for the cars or the circuit. This money event is important and as well for the love of the fans to this sport.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

it's worth going to see a formula 1 race in person?

McLaren and its first carbon fibre car